We’ve had surprisingly good weather this week – other than the freezing night-time temperature that came out of nowhere one night and I had to quickly fleece everything up in layers and layers of protection. Thankfully, the courgettes, squashes and sweetcorn lived!
This week I have:
- Planted out all of the sweetcorn.
- Planted out hamburg parsley I grew indoors (outdoors did poorly this year), sorrel, pak choi, cosmos flowers, some lupin flowers, some orach
- I weeded and fed a cabbage, brussels sprouts and brukale bed.
- Weeded and fed the courgettes and squashes and set up umbrellas to protect them from the irrigation sprinklers (the sprinklers last year worsened powdery mildew).
- Planted out more aubergines, cucumbers and peppers in the greenhouse.
- Weeded and mulched the quinoa and amaranth beds.
- Sowed more turnips and swede because some bird has been pecking them out of the ground.
- I found a toad hiding under one of my cabbages! I moved him to the compost heaps out-of-the-way.
- Planted out all of our runner beans.
Mum, while stuck in the throes of awful hay fever and more bee work has done:
- Completed weeding and mulching the big carrot patch.
- Did the poles for the runner beans.
- Fed all of the potatoes with liquid fertiliser.
- Sprayed the cucurbits and plants that can harbour blight or powdery mildew with our milk spray (more on that another time).
- Potted on more tomatoes.
- Weeded the broad beans.
- Weeded and netter my broccoli and cauliflowers.
- Weeded and cleared an old celery patch she is leaving to flower and create seeds this year.
- Weeded the immense amount of mustard and goosegrass wrapping itself around our Japanese wine berry and boysenberry.
- Created a support for the collapsing bed of the tree cabbages.
We also finally harvested our first batch of rhubarb for the year after putting it off for so long. More on that another time…