It has been a really tough week. The garden has been neglected but I am sure that it was very happy to be watered by all that natural, torrential rain. It could have done without the chilly temperatures though but the squashes and courgettes look alive, for now…
This week I have:
- Planted out all of the orach (Real Seeds Company purchase).
- Planted out the lupins in a flower patch next to a bee hive while they were trapped indoors during the rain – haha, finally! They don’t care much for my presence …
- I also planned lupins in the areas of the squash patch (they are meant to make them taste better?) and some dotted around the place as they will get quite big and needed a lot of space.
- I weeded the rhubarb and fed and mulched it.
- I weeded and mulched some paths to try and keep the weeds at bay for a while.
- I weeded the quinoa and amaranth patches that are impossible to weed when the sun is out as they are too close to the bee hives again so I made the most of the foul weather.
- I weeded and mulched a lettuce patch.
I think that was it. Not a very productive week. However, we did harvest our first bounty of pea pods to have with out homemade matte paneer curry with rice, lentil Dahl, naan, lettuce (of coarse) and cucumber raita (sadly not homegrown cucumber, yet). They were really delicious. I will have to sow as many as I can this month before I run out of time!
This week mum:
- Planted out the rest of the lettuce from indoors that I had sown too close together… oops.
- Dug up and planted some plants into small containers for a fete my sister has to sell them at next weekend.
- Planted out the thyme from indoors around brassicas.
- Tied up the blackcurrant bushes that were falling over from their laden branches – the bees are going nuts over the berries this year, particularly the raspberries. YUM.
- Netted some strawberry patches.
- Cleaned up some of the debris still inside the greenhouse, we are so bad at cleaning.
- Cleaned around the outside of the greenhouse.
- Pruned and tied back a budlier that was shadowing the greenhouse.
- Poured liquid feed over the carrots, beetroot and some kale when it was not raining.
Here’s hoping the weather improves and that it is a better week all round next time. Come on June, give us a good summer please.