Last night was probably the coldest nigh in the South East in months. The sun is now no longer reaching parts of the veg garden and it is dark sometime around 8pm. Now is the time to find something to grow in the last few months of 2018.
So what can you try growing as the weather cools down and the light fades?
- Broad beans – Aguadulce or Superaguadulce– sow Oct-Feb, harvest Jun-Aug
- Pea – Meteor – sow Oct-Nov, Jan-Mar, harvest May-Sep
- Autumn planting onion sets – red Radar, brown Electric, white Snowball – sow Sept-Oct, harvest May-Jul
- Garlic cloves – Provence Wight (Softneck), Lautrec Wight (Hardneck), Elephant Garlic – plant Sept-Oct, Jan-Mar, harvest Jun-Aug
- Spinach – Turaco – sow Aug-Oct, harvest Jun-Oct
- Cauliflower – All The Year Round – sow Sep-Oct, Jan-Jun, harvest Jun-Oct
- Cabbages – Advantage – sow Mar-Oct, harvest Jan-Dec – Spring Hero – sow Sept, harvest Mar-May – Duncan – sow Sept-Oct, harvest Mar-Jun
- Purple sprouting broccoli – Claret – plant Sept, harvest Mar-May
- Winter lettuce – Density – sow Aug-April, harvest Mar-Jul – Valian – Sept-Mar, harvest Oct-May